Prenuptial or premarital agreements are not just for movie stars and the super-wealthy; no - far from it. They can be very useful planning tools for people just like you and me. Consider the following:
- Do you own a small business?
- Is this a second marriage?
- Are there loved ones you need to take care of or provide for?
- Do you have children from a previous marriage?
- Are you expecting an inheritance?
- Are you receiving a settlement from an accident or injury?
- Is there an income disparity between yourself and your future spouse?
- Do you expect to increase your income dramatically in the future?
- Will you be supporting your spouse through college or higher education?
- Will you be bringing significant assets to the marriage?
If you answered "yes" to one or more of the above questions, a premarital agreement may be right for you.
Premarital agreements allow individuals to opt out of the default Wisconsin marital property laws and tailor an agreement that meets their individual needs, desires, and lifestyles. After all, how often does "one size fits all" really fit you? Give us a call if you have any questions; we would love to hear from you.